CERTIFICATE IV COURSES
VOCATIONAL EDUCATION INFO
TRAINING & ASSESSING INFO
Address adult language, literacy and Numeracy TAELLN4011
This workshop provides participants with underpinning knowledge and a range of workplace activities to develop and strengthen their skills in addressing LLN in their training environments.
Coral Reef Institute have included the elective unit TAELLN4011 Address adult language, literacy and numeracy in TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
To work as a trainer in the VET sector a trainer must hold, as a minimum, the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment from the TAE10 Training and Education Training Package or be able to demonstrate equivalent competency.
When the TAE10 Training Package is revised in July 2014 all new and existing trainers will need to hold, or demonstrate equivalent competency for, the unit TAELLN4011.
Everyone uses LLN skills every day for a variety of purposes – personal, social and work. Different tasks and contexts need different types of reading, writing, listening, speaking and numeracy skills, so people need to continually develop and adapt these skills to suit new situations.
Every learner in vocational education and training (VET) takes on new LLN challenges or, at the very least, uses their existing LLN skills in different ways. Many VET learners have not completed any post-compulsory education or training and they may not have experienced competency-based assessment. Some learners may have limited experience in using communication or numeracy skills in a workplace.
As a vocational trainer your role is to help learners to develop and demonstrate their vocational skills and knowledge. LLN skills are an integral part of vocational competence, and so you also need to help learners to adapt and use their LLN skills to meet the demands of their vocational training and the workplace. Nationally, there has been growing awareness that people need to develop their LLN skills not only at school but across the whole of their life.
To make sure that learners’ LLN skills are addressed in their VET experience, changes are being made to the TAE10 Training Package. In future, all trainers working in the Australian VET system will need to have the skills and knowledge needed to address LLN skills as part of their vocational training and assessment.
- Identify existing LLN skills of learners using validated LLN assessment tools
- Determine the LLN requirements of the workplace and training in line with the Australian Core Skills Framework
- Decide when specialist LLN support is required
- Access appropriate specialist LLN support
- Develop learning plan for learner to achieve required core LLN skills
- Revise learning resources to be LLN appropriate
- Apply learning support strategies to facilitate full participation and development of required LLN skills
- Why LLN for VET practitioners
- Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF)
- LLN in training packages
- Validated LLN assessment tools
- Specialist LLN programs and services
- LLN in Learning resources
- Learning support strategies for developing LLN skills